Saturday, November 24, 2012

Kale Chips

This is one of the most delicious snacks I've ever had. I have a very hard time not eating all of them as soon as they come out of the oven. I've found that these chips don't last a super long time stored, so for best quality, I would make them no more than 2 weeks or so before your trip.

1 bunch kale (or more)
Olive oil
Sea salt
Nutritional yeast


Wash the kale and dry it thoroughly with kitchen towels (they turn out way better if the kale is 100% dry, so sometimes if I've bought organic kale, I won't even bother washing it, I'll just dry off whatever moisture is on it and use as is). Remove the center rib and cut or tear the leaves into large pieces (2- or 3-inch squares are a good size, since they are quite brittle and end up breaking into smaller pieces anyways). Put the pieces in a large mixing bowl and drizzle with a couple tablespoons of olive oil, sprinkle with a teaspoon or so of sea salt, and a couple tablespoons of nutritional yeast (adjusting measurements to your taste...I will warn you that a little salt goes a long way). Toss with your hands, massaging the olive oil into the kale. Once all the leaves are thoroughly coated in oil, spread leaves out in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for about 10-14 minutes, checking every so often to make sure they are not burning. Once they are all dry and crispy, they are done! Allow to cool and package in Ziploc bags marked with the date.

No comments:

Post a Comment