Thursday, May 1, 2014

Backpacking Cedar Mesa: 4-Day Menu

This last week I had a good friend from Wisconsin visit who had never been to the Southwest, so Max and I planned a backpacking trip with her to Cedar Mesa, an incredible area of Southeastern Utah. We hiked the Kane Gulch to Grand Gulch trail in the Grand Gulch primitive area. 
Melissa and Me
The coolest thing about this site is that it used to be populated by the Anasazi and you can still see the ruins of their houses, kivas (ceremonial structures), middens (trash heaps), and granaries (food storage structures), as well as their rock art. I never knew the difference between petroglyphs and pictographs, but the rangers for Grand Gulch have put interpretive information into water-tight ammo cans and from these I learned that petroglyphs are pecked into the rock and pictographs are painted on. Their middens were full of broken pottery shards, some of them painted with black geometric designs, and some meticulously carved with repeating patterns. We could also see signs of their fires - the walls above their homes permanently blackened with soot, bringing them to life even more.
Me and Melissa looking in on a kiva - a ceremonial structure.
The biodiversity in the canyon was amazing - more greenery than I've ever seen in southern Utah. We had brought along a book on medicinal plants of the Southwest but were only able to identify globe mallow and wild rhubarb, beyond the sagebrush, juniper trees, and prickly pear cacti which we already knew well from our year and a half living down here. The Anasazi who lived here before tended the land, growing corns, beans, and squash, and probably many other plants. Some openings in the canyon were large enough to imagine them as an ancient garden, and when we climbed up to one of the ruins, the large rock bench they sat on were populated with many plants we hadn't seen so far on the hike, making us think it used to be part of a cultivated garden. That's just speculation, but it was an interesting difference with the rest of the landscape.

The structures were peppered through the canyon with such regularity that whenever I would think to myself, "I haven't seen a ruin in a while," I would look up and there would be one right above me. Some of them were really high, too, making you wonder how difficult it was to build the structures up there and what it would be like to climb ladders that high, unprotected.

As an added bonus to the trip, we (unfortunately) found out that there would be no water available at our site we planned for the last night in the canyon, so we hiked out a day early and drove to Burr Point to sleep on the edge of a canyon overlooking the Dirty Devil River and wake up to the sunrise. On the way we were burning up in the car and were able to stop at the Colorado River and take a little dip. Mmmm...nothing better than dipping in cold cold water. My dad's friend likes to say it's "tonic - nasty but good for you."

A whole pot of bacon for breakfast!
We had beautiful weather the whole time, and made it out the day before it was supposed to make a turn for the worse. And I was extra excited because I had several dehydrated meals sitting in our freezer that I'd dried in past years but never tried out. They ended up being delicious and I'll post the recipes shortly for those. And this menu is still dairy- and nut-free.

We brought dried eggs for breakfasts, but then realized on the first morning out that we didn't actually have enough for the week. But luckily we'd brought a whole pack of bacon so we just ate that and some Lemon Chia Seed Muffins that I'd made beforehand, and saved the eggs for the rest of the week.


Basque Pork Meatloaf on the first night
All the dinners were dehydrated meals which saved a lot of weight and space. The biggest source of weight was lunch foods. We brought several fresh vegetables, but like I've said before I really don't mind carrying the extra weight in order to have fresh veggies. I didn't keep super close track of what I ate every day, so I'm doing the outline for the main meals and at the bottom I'll list all the snacks I brought, which I ate whenever I got hungry, or with meals if I needed more food. I'm writing it as if it's for 1 person (me), but since we had 3 people, we obviously brought more and cooked more than what's listed. You'll also see in the snacks sections that I brought some rice tortillas. Yikes. Sorry that's not Paleo, but it was really nice to have a little extra carbs to eat with dinner or breakfast.

Monday

Breakfast
  • Fresh eggs & bacon at our morning car-camping site
Lunch
Dinner
Dessert
Melissa lunching on a 
salami bowl by a little creek.
(Note the Lake Superior tatt on her shoulder.)


Tuesday

Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner
Dessert
  • Couple squares of chocolate



Wednesday

Breakfast
  • About 1 1/2 dehydrated eggs cooked in coconut oil (since we didn't bring enough, we had to ration)
  • 1 Lemon Chia Seed Muffin
Lunch
  • Backpacker Tuna Salad - 1 tuna packet, 1/2 carrot, 1/3 avocado, 1/6 cucumber, 1/3 apple, 2 TB golden raisins, 2 TB sprouted sunflower seeds, olive oil, mustard, sea salt
  • 1/6 bag Sweets & Beets Terra Chips
Such a satisfying dessert in the backcountry.
Dinner
  • Greek Moussaka
Dessert
  • Couple squares of chocolate

Thursday

Breakfast
Lunch
  • 2 & 1/3 hot dogs w/ mustard
  • 1 large carrot
  • 1/3 avocado
  • l/6 cucumber
  • 1/6 bag Sweets & Beets Terra Chips
  • couple handfuls sprouted sunflower seeds
Dinner
  • Salmon Chowder
Dessert
  • Couple squares of chocolate

Snacks

  • half-eaten jar of coconut butter (yes I brought a glass jar on a backpacking trip)
  • small bag of olives (about 30)
  • 1 package of Wellshire Family Tom Tom Turkey Sticks
  • 1 pint-size bag Maple-Sage Grass-fed Beef Jerky (for all of us to share)
  • couple apples
  • couple extra carrots
  • bag of toasted coconut flakes
  • sprouted sunflower seeds
  • 1/2 pint-size bag homemade dried apples
  • 3 Food For Life rice tortillas
  • tea

Extra Food (things I thought I might eat if I got really hungry but never did)

  • 3 tins oysters
  • another package of Tom Tom Turkey Sticks

1 comment: